At the top of the Puerto del Escudo (Pass of the Shield), in the border between Burgos and Cantabria, we found this strange monument built as the final resting place for the Italian soldiers fallen during the Spanish Civil War in that place.
The Italian CTV (Corpo Truppe Volontarie) attacked the Puerto del Escudo in 1937, during the National offensive against Santander. The attack was eventually successful, but the Italians sustained hundreds of casualties.
In order to bury the fallen and conmemorate the battle, Franco ordered to build a twenty meters high step pyramid in 1939, with more than 300 niches inside.
|Inscription above the Mausoleum´s entrance|